The stress of modern life, working longer hours, balancing family and work leaves us longing for this luxury of a good night's sleep, but there are just not enough hours in the day. So what is the solution? We must acknowledge that a good night's sleep is very, very important to our overall health. This rejuvenating sleep will improve productivity, counter stress, boost our immune system and help us take on the challenges of the next day. Once acknowledged, then you are on your way to finding solutions.
There are several areas to address to achieve this goal:
1) Environmental. Your sleeping area should be much cooler than the rest of the house. Turn your heat down at night to at least 65 degrees. You will sleep better, toss less and save on energy at the same time.
2) Behavioral. Try and go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time. Do not consume caffeine right before going to bed and limit alcohol consumption. Do not exercise right before going to bed. Reading a book would be far better than watching tv before bedtime.
3) Mattress. Do you have a good quality mattress that supports your spine in the right position? There are some really luxurious mattresses available with coil springs, or solid latex or slat beds (like in Europe). These luxury mattresses are designed specifically to deliver superb comfort and support, ensuring your body is positioned correctly for enhanced sleep. If your mattress is too soft or too firm, a luxury featherbed or down bed on top of your mattress will solve this problem. The extra cushioning from a down mattress topper will offer an increased level of comfort to your mattress, but the featherbed or down bed is expecially more cushioning and luxuriously comfortable and will make your mattress more back friendly.
4) Bedcovering. Is your bed covering too heavy, does it breathe, is it the right size, or are you having a tug of war with the covers? You will need something warmer if you turn down your heat. Down is nature's best insulator. A high quality down comforter will keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. The higher cost of the initial purchase will be compensated in energy savings and incomparable comfort year round.
5) Pillows. Are you sleeping on pillows that are too flat, piling them up to get the right height or are they too firm giving you a sore neck? To keep your head in the right position for correct spelling alignment you need a pillow that is right for the way you sleep. A high quality down pillow that is made just for your style of sleeping (side, back or stomach), will keep your head aligned. A stomach sleeper should have a soft pillow, a back sleeper a medium pillow and a side sleeper a firm pillow unless you are petite, then a medium would be better suited. It is better to try a pillow in a store by putting it on a bed. Even then you may get it home and after a few nights find it is not the right pillow for you. Look for a specialty store as they usually have many densities to try and will often adjust the filling for you after you have taken it home.
In our opinion all these simple solutions will greatly enhance your sleep experience, which in turn will make you more productive and enjoy life better. Do not toss and turn one more night, try these simple changes and get the good night's sleep you need to wake up rejuvenated and refreshed.